In New York, Stikeman Elliott (NY) LLP provides Canadian legal advice to our U.S. and international clients who are seeking to invest or do business in Canada. Recognizing the importance of New York in the international financial community, we were the first Canadian law firm to open an office in New York in 1983 and today our New York resident lawyers offer our clients unsurpassed experience in advising on cross border legal matters involving Canada. Our New York lawyers have extensive experience in Canada/U.S. corporate transactions, with a particular focus on cross border mergers & acquisitions and corporate finance. In addition, we have developed a strong practice advising non-Canadian financial institutions, including banks, dealers, advisers, funds and market intermediaries on the Canadian regulation of international and U.S. financial institutions conducting business in Canada. For the benefit of our U.S. and international clients with interests in Canada, our New York team regularly coordinates the firm's Canadian legal resources in the areas of Canadian competition/antitrust regulation, foreign investment, tax, employment, litigation, real estate, pensions, intellectual property and international trade.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- our New York office advises U.S. and international companies from a variety of business sectors, as well as private equity firms and investment funds, on cross border transactions. We specialize in counseling U.S. clients on all aspects of an acquisition, disposition or joint venture in Canada, including foreign investment and antitrust considerations, effective tax structuring, and advising on differences in corporate, commercial and employment law regimes.
- In our cross-border corporate finance practice, we advise international, U.S. and Canadian issuers, investment dealers, advisers, banks and investment funds in connection with cross border offerings, including:
- Counsel to U.S. issuers and underwriters in connection with cross-border (Canada-U.S.) public offerings and private placements, including under the Canada/U.S. Multi-Jurisdictional Disclosure System.
- Counsel to international issuers and underwriters in connection with cross border public offerings and private placements into Canada.
- Counsel to U.S. and international investors investing in Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and TSX Venture Exchange listed companies.
- Counsel to private equity, venture capital and hedge funds in connection with capital raising activities in Canada and investments in Canadian companies.
- Counsel to U.S. issuers seeking listing on the TSX or TSX Venture Exchange.
- Our New York office advises a wide range of non-Canadian financial institutions on Canadian business and financial institutions regulatory matters including:
- Advising U.S. and international dealers, advisers, investment managers, funds and clearing agencies on Canadian securities regulations.
- Advising U.S. and international banks on Canadian banking regulations.
- Advising on Canadian regulation of financial products, commodity futures and derivatives.
- Advising dealers and advisers on the dealer-member and market integrity rules of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) as well as TSX and TSX Venture Exchange rules.
- Advising U.S. and international clients on Canadian regulations relating to anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing.
- Advising on Canadian rules relating to market access, hedging, short selling, early warning reporting and other trading matters.
- Representing clients in connection with Canadian regulatory enforcement actions and investigations.