|John G. Lorito
John Lorito is a partner in the Toronto office of Stikeman Elliott where he is head of the Tax Group, and serves on the Toronto office's Management Committee. He conducts a general income tax practice with particular emphasis on the areas of corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, investment funds, REITs and international tax planning. Mr. Lorito has advised on tax issues relating to cross-border and domestic financial products and non-resident investment in Canadian real estate. He has also acted as counsel on federal and provincial income tax appeals before the Federal Court of Appeal and the Ontario Court (General Division).
Mr. Lorito is listed and recognized in the following publications:
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, June 2016.
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Tax, with clients noting "He is brilliant. He is one of the best tax lawyers in Canada."
- Chambers Global 2016 as a recommended lawyer for Corporate Tax, and is recommended for his breadth of his expertise and the versatility of his practice.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Tax Law.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Tax.
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for Corporate Tax and Derivative Instruments.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading practitioner in the Corporate Tax, Derivative Instruments, Corporate Mid-Market and Investment Funds & Asset Management - Tax Aspects sectors.
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada in the area of Corporate Tax.
- Who's Who Legal: Corporate Tax.
- The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers.
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 in Corporate Tax.
- Legal Media Group's 2016 Expert Guides: Tax.
Mr. Lorito is a member of the Canadian Bar Association (Taxation Law Section), Canadian Tax Foundation, American Bar Association and International Fiscal Association. He is a former member of the CICA/CBA Joint Committee on Taxation and the Insurance Bureau of Canada's Tax Panel.
He is currently a lecturer at the University of Toronto and has been a seminar leader in the Business Law Section of the Ontario Bar Admission course and In-Depth Tax Course of The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA). He has served on the faculty of the Customs Duty and International Trade Course sponsored by the CICA and the Canadian Importers Association and on the Advisory Committee for the CICA's annual symposium.
University of Toronto (LL.B. 1985), University of Western Ontario (Economics 1980-82).