|Eliot N. Kolers
Eliot Kolers is a partner at Stikeman Elliott LLP. He is head of the Toronto office's Litigation Group, member of the Management Committee and former Chair of the Community Involvement and Pro Bono Committee.
Mr. Kolers' practice concentrates on corporate commercial litigation, competition litigation, and securities litigation. He has represented clients in a wide range of complex cases, including many "real time" litigation matters in relation to contested corporate transactions.
Mr. Kolers has defended class actions involving competition law, securities and privacy issues, and has represented clients in a broad range of commercial cases involving oppression remedies, proxy contests, takeover bids, shareholder disputes, plans of arrangement and corporate governance matters. He regularly appears before the Commercial List of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Mr. Kolers' competition litigation experience relates to class actions, criminal matters and contested proceedings before the Competition Tribunal. His competition law cases have involved allegations of anti-competitive conduct concerning the manufacture and sale of various products, among them automotive parts, DRAM computer chips, liquid crystal display panels and polyurethane foam, as well as allegations of anti-competitive conduct in the airline industry.
Mr. Kolers has extensive advocacy experience, having appeared before all levels of Ontario's courts, the Courts of Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also appeared before the federal Competition Tribunal, the Ontario Securities Commission, and other regulatory and administrative tribunals, and has experience in commercial arbitration. He regularly works closely with counsel from various U.S. and international jurisdictions.
Mr. Kolers' expertise is recognized by various national and international publications, including:
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence), Competition/Antitrust: Litigators, and Dispute Resolution: Ontario, with clients noting he "has a very calm, steady demeanour and is extremely incisive in his approach to files" and is "a very careful and detail-oriented lawyer".
- Chambers Global 2016 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution: Ontario and Competition/Antitrust.
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Competition/Antitrust Law and Bet-the-Company Litigation.
- Lexpert/American Lawyer's Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2016, as a frequently recommended lawyer in Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- Legal Media Group's 2016 Benchmark Canada, the Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys in the areas of Competition and General Commercial Litigation.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 which recommends Mr. Kolers for his expertise in Corporate Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation, and Class Actions law.
- Lexpert's 2015 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada.
- The 2014 Benchmark Canada Litigation Awards where he was named "Emerging Talent of the Year".
- Lexpert's 2009 Rising Stars which identified him as one of the "Leading Lawyers Under 40" in Canada.
Mr. Kolers is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the American Bar Association (Antitrust Law Section), The International Bar Association, and the Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association. He is a Board member of The Advocates' Society, a past executive member of the Ontario Bar Association's Civil Litigation Section and is a past Chair of the Canadian Bar Association's Competition Law Section's Class Actions and Private Enforcement Committee.
He is the editor-in-chief of Class Action Defence Quarterly, published by LexisNexis.
University of Toronto (LL.B. 1994, BA 1991).