Jim Harbell is a partner in Stikeman Elliott's Toronto office and head of the Project Development and Finance Group. He headed the Toronto Real Estate Department from 1998 to 2015, and formerly served on the firm's Partnership Board and as co-head of the Energy Group.
Mr. Harbell is a certified Specialist in Environmental Law by the Law Society of Upper Canada. He has appeared before various levels of courts and regulatory agencies including the Ontario Municipal Board, Environmental Review Tribunal, Ontario Energy Board and various municipal councils and committees.
Mr. Harbell has considerable expertise in independent development and power project finance, as well as the environmental and municipal law areas. He has acted for developers requiring regulatory approvals for power plants and transmission lines, contractual negotiations with utilities, steam hosts and major power consumers. For municipalities, public agencies and private investors and developers, Mr. Harbell provides strategic advice in a broad range of matters involving real estate development, mergers and acquisitions in the energy and infrastructure areas, regulatory approvals and related project finance matters.
Mr. Harbell is listed and recognized in the following publications:
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, June 2016.
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Energy: Power (Transactional), with clients noting "he is extremely knowledgeable and when we have some complex regulatory matters, or power purchase agreements, we'll rely on Jim and his team."
- Chambers Global 2016 as a leading lawyer in Energy: Power (Transactional).
- Legal Media Group's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Energy Lawyers 2016 as a "leading lawyer" in energy.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Environmental, Real Estate, Energy, and Energy Regulatory Law and previously named 'Lawyer of the Year' for Energy Law.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading lawyer in the Energy (Electricity), Property Development, Project Finance and Environmental Law sectors.
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers, September 2015.
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers, November 2015.
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada in the area of Energy - Electricity.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2016 in the area of Energy: Power. He has been noted for his "good business acumen and history in the area" of Environmental Law.
- The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers and Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 in Government Contracts and Energy.
Mr. Harbell is past co-chair of the ABA/SEER Task Force on Environmental Policy and Co-ordination. He was chair of the Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Committee of the ABA Business Law Section (2003-2006), a member of Council (2000-2003) of the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources of the American Bar Association, a chair of the Environmental Transactions, Audits and Brownfields Committee of the Section, and chairman (1991-92) of the Municipal Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association-Ontario.
Mr. Harbell has been involved in many community initiatives such as being a member of the Board of Governors of St. Clement's School, past Clerk at Rosedale United Church and was a former Board Member of the Evergreen Foundation.
Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B. 1982), University of Toronto (Trinity College 1977-1979).