|Curtis A. Cusinato
Curtis Cusinato is a partner practising corporate and securities law in the firm's Toronto office with an emphasis on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, leveraged and management buyouts, going private transactions, divestitures and private equity transactions. His clients include Canadian, U.S. and foreign public, private and multinational companies representing a broad range of industries, investment and merchant banks, private equity firms, hedge funds and sovereign wealth funds. He is frequently involved in transactions having an international aspect and has extensive experience in a variety of commercial and corporate finance matters, including public offerings, restructurings, reorganizations, joint ventures, and debt and equity financings.
Mr. Cusinato currently serves on the firm's Partnership Board. He formerly served on the Toronto office's Management Committee and is the former head of the Corporate Department for the Toronto office and co-chair of the Toronto M&A/Private Equity Group.
Mr. Cusinato is listed and recognized in the following publications:
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, June 2016
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Corporate/Commercial: Ontario, with clients noting that he is "a proven deal maker with the ability to get things done in M&A and underwriting. He brings the full weight of the firm and access to all its experts - he is a consummate professional."
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Securities Law and M&A.
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada in the area of Corporate Mid-Market.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading practitioner in Corporate Mid-Markets, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, M&A and Private Equity and as one of the "Top 40 Lawyers Under 40" in 2006.
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada in the area of Corporate Finance & Securities.
- IFLR1000's The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2010 as a leading lawyer in M&A.
- He is AV® Peer Review Rated (Very High to Pre-eminent) according to Martindale-Hubbell, its highest level of professional ranking.
Mr. Cusinato is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, American Bar Association and various other professional and business associations. He has participated as a speaker at various conferences on corporate law, private equity, financing and governance topics. He sits as a director of several Canadian companies and formerly served on the board of governors of the North York General Hospital Foundation and as past chair of the Governor's Council.
University of Detroit Mercy (J.D. 1991), University of Windsor (LL.B. 1991), University of Ottawa (B. Comm. Honours 1988).
Mr. Cusinato completed a legal internship in London, England in the commercial court of the Royal Courts of Justice in 1990. In 1997, he worked in Australia and Asia out of the Sydney office of Stikeman Elliott on a one-year secondment and acted as Canadian counsel on several Australian transactions, including for Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, ANZ Bank, Normandy Mining Limited, Orica Limited and Telstra Corporation in respect of the Canadian component of its partial privatization and global offering. Mr. Cusinato served in 2000 as the interim general counsel of Waste Management of Canada, the Canadian operations of Waste Management, Inc., North America's largest environmental services organization, and has advised the Company in Canada in connection with over a dozen transactions including the acquisition, divestiture and financing of its solid waste, landfill, recycling and related businesses.
In addition, Mr. Cusinato has advised a number of U.S. public and multinational companies on Canadian transactions, including Sysco Corporation, North America's leading food service distributor, in connection with over two dozen transactions involving the acquisition, divestiture, financing and reorganization of its food and quick service, meat, produce and hospitality service businesses throughout Canada.