|David R. Byers
David Byers is a senior partner at Stikeman Elliott LLP. He is a current co-chair of the firm's national litigation practice and headed the Toronto Litigation Group from 1994 to 2015. He is highly experienced in complex commercial litigation, including product liability, securities, insolvency and insurance, as well as in domestic and international arbitration.
Mr. Byers has extensive advocacy experience appearing before both the Trial and Appellate levels of courts in Ontario. His representations reflect a practice of extraordinary depth and scope. He has acted for companies and their management in an exceptionally broad range of industries, including manufacturing, technology, pharmaceutical, financial services and tobacco. And, he has acted for both lenders and debtors in several court supervised restructurings.
Mr. Byers is listed and recognized in the following publications:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Bet-the-Company Litigation, Class Actions Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring, International Arbitration, and named 2015 "Lawyer of the Year" in Insolvency and Financial Restructuring.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017, recognized as a leading lawyer with an "unflagging desire to get the right result" in Restructuring and Insolvency, and considered a "tenacious litigator with a sharp mind" in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- Chambers Global 2017 Guide as a recommended lawyer for Dispute Resolution and Restructuring/Insolvency.
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution: Ontario and Restructuring/Insolvency, with clients noting "he brings a certain gravitas to more significant matters" and is a "well-respected restructuring litigation lawyer." Clients commend his "unique ability to bring warring parties together" and "knowledge of court procedure and strategy".
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for Insolvency & Financial Restructuring and Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- The 2016 Litigation and Product Liability Guide, part of Legal Media Group's Expert Guides series.
- Legal Media Group's Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2015.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading practitioner in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Insolvency Litigation, Litigation - Corporate Commercial, Litigation - Directors' & Officers' Liability, Class Actions, Litigation - Securities and Litigation - Product Liability.
- Legal Media Group's 2016 Expert Guides: Insolvency and Restructuring and Expert Guides: Litigation.
- International Financial Law Review's IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2017 as a leading lawyer in Restructuring and Insolvency.
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada for Insolvency/Restructuring, Class Actions, and Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- The International Who's Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers and Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 in Insolvency and Restructuring, with clients noting "he's absolutely fantastic. He gets right to the heart of the issue and gets things done."
Osgoode Hall (LL.B. 1981), University of Western Ontario (Honours BA 1978).
Mr. Byers is a member of the Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers' Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Insolvency Institute of Canada, the Litigation Counsel of America, and a member and former director of The Advocates' Society.