|Alan L. W. D'Silva
Alan D'Silva is a senior partner in the Toronto office, and has a diverse commercial litigation practice. Alan is considered a leading litigation lawyer in Canada with expertise in a number of areas of law, including: defence of class actions, corporate/commercial disputes, securities litigation, shareholder/oppression cases, large insurance litigation, accountants' and auditors' negligence, professional negligence, sports law and directors' and officers' claims.
Alan has acted as counsel in more than 170 publicly reported cases and has extensive experience at all levels of court and before administrative tribunals, including more than 80 appeals in Canadian appellate courts and 13 cases in the Supreme Court of Canada since 2001. He has also acted as a mediator, arbitrator and an expert witness in Canadian courts.
Alan is a recipient of the University of Ottawa Law School's 2015 Alumni Award and has been inducted to the Common Law Honour Society, which is described as the Law School's most prestigious alumni distinction.
Alan is listed and recognized for his expertise in many Canadian and international legal, professional and peer review publications, including the following:
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence).
- Chambers Global 2017, he is described as a "strong litigator and very well respected" in the area of Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence).
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Class Action Litigation.
- Legal Media Group's 2016 Benchmark Canada, the Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a Local Litigation Star in Ontario, and recipient of an 'honorable mention' for Top Litigation Lawyer in Ontario in the 2015 edition.
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada as a most frequently recommended lawyer for Class Actions and Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as Most Frequently Recommended in Class Actions and Litigation - Corporate Commercial, Consistently Recommended in Litigation - Directors' & Officers' Liability and Litigation - Securities, and Repeatedly Recommended in Litigation - Commercial Insurance and Litigation - Product Liability.
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada for Class Actions and Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2015, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers and Who's Who Legal: Canada, where he is noted as "'top' counsel" and for having "a 'wealth of experience' acting before courts and tribunals".
- The 2015 Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers.
- BV® Distinguished Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell.
Awards & Recognitions
- Recipient of the University of Ottawa Law School's 2015 Alumni Award and inducted as a member of the Common Law Honour Society.
- Recognized by Canadian Lawyer as one of the 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada.
- Recipient of the 2014 Lexpert Zenith Award for Practice Excellence in "Litigation - Directors' and Officers' Liability".
- Recognized as Benchmark Canada's Insurance Litigator of the Year for Canada for 2014 and 2016.
- Recognized as Benchmark Canada's 2013 Securities Litigator of the Year for Canada.
- Cited as one of the "50 Best Lawyers in Canada" by Corporate INTL legal publication for his expertise in Commercial Litigation.
- Nominated and finalist for Globe and Mail's "Top 40 Under 40".
Alan has been counsel in leading cases in a number of areas of the law including: class actions, insurance, securities law, directors' and officers' liability, sports law and human rights / charter rights.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, appeals and judicial reviews (1998-99)
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Western Ontario Law School, class actions (2009-11)
- Visiting Professor, University of Ottawa Law School, class actions (2011-12)
- Guest lecturer, University of Windsor Law School, constitutional law
- Former instructor at Osgoode Hall, Intensive Trial Advocacy Course
- Former instructor at the Law Society's Bar Admission Course, civil litigation and legal writing
- Chair, Northwind Class Actions Invitational Forum, Langdon Hall, Cambridge (2011, 2013, 2015)
- Member of the Board of Directors, The Advocates' Society and chair of the Standing Committee and its Task Force on the Report on Retention of Women in the Profession (2009)
- Executive Committee OBA Insurance Section (2006-07)
- Former Counsel, Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Member of the Equity Advisory Group, Law Society of Upper Canada (2007-09)
- Member of Stikeman Elliott's (Toronto) Management Committee (2008-15)
- Former and current board member or committee member of several charitable or non-profit organizations, universities and hospitals
- Recognized member of the University of Ottawa's Tabaret Society and the R. Fraser Elliott Society (for charitable contributions).
- Past president of a large Ratepayers' Association
University of Ottawa (J.D. cum laude 1987); Université Laval (French-language programme 1984), Carleton University (BA with distinction 1983); Mediation certificate, Advocates' Society/Harvard Program (1999).