|John W. Leopold
John Leopold is a senior partner in the Montréal office of Stikeman Elliott with the firm's Corporate Group. His practice is directed primarily to the areas of public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity and corporate finance, with a particular focus on cross-border transactions.
Mr. Leopold is included in the following publications:
- Chambers Canada: Canada's Leading Lawyers for Business as a Band 1 leading lawyer in Corporate/Commercial - Québec, with clients noting "one of the finest M&A and general business lawyers I have worked with."
- Named Montréal Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in Canada 2017.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in the corporate, mergers & acquisitions and securities law sectors.
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada in Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Mid-Market and M&A.
- Who's Who Legal: M&A and Governance 2017 in the mergers and acquisitions sector.
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, mergers and acquisitions (2016).
- Recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016, as a leading practitioner in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate mid-market corporate commercial and corporate finance & securities.
- Lexpert Special Edition on Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, June 2016.
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2016 in the corporate governance sector, with the following quotation: "John Leopold stands out in our research for his "commercial know-how". He has a particular focus on cross-border transactions and clients are impressed by his "high level of commitment and all-round technical excellence".
- Who's Who Legal: M&A and Governance 2016 in the mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance sectors.
- The 2016 Chambers Global's The World's Leading Lawyers for Business as a recommended lawyer in Corporate/M&A, with clients noting "a great M&A lawyer."
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2015 in the corporate governance sector, and ranked as a most highly regarded individual in mergers and acquisitions, with the following quotation: "John Leopold co-chairs the M&A Group and is "very active" in the public and private M&A sector".
- Named one of the "30 Most Influential Private Equity Attorneys in the World" in the November 2006 issue of Private Equity International magazine. Mr. Leopold is the only Canadian lawyer named in such publication.
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2014 in the mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance sectors, with the following quotation: "He "brilliantly" co-chairs the firm's mergers and acquisitions group and brings "real value to any deal" according to in-house counsel".
- The International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers 2014.
- Lexpert Leading Corporate Lawyers, special edition, June 2014.
- Who's Who Legal 100 2014 refers to John as an "absolutely terrific" corporate lawyer in the areas of corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions.
- The International Who's Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers 2013, with the following quotation: "John Leopold received a torrent of praise from some of the most prominent M&A names, with many attesting to his "outstanding" calibre".
- The 2012 PLC Which Lawyer? as recommended in Private Equity: Buyouts and the PLC Private Equity Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/2013.
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2013 in mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance sectors, with the following quotation: "He is always my first port of call, he is undoubtedly one of the best in Canada".
- The International Who's Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers 2012.
- LawDay's Leading Lawyers for Mergers and Acquisitions, 2009 edition.
- Lexpert-Thomson Findlaw, Guide to the Leading 100 Canada/US Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2006 edition, for M&A.
- Recognized as having the highest rating ("AV") under the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings.
Mr. Leopold was appointed as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation in March 2010. Membership in The Fellows is limited to one third of one percent of the lawyers in America. Fellows of the ABF is an honorary organization who have been elected by their peers because of their outstanding achievements in the legal profession.
Mr. Leopold is a member of the Quebec and Canadian Bar, as well as an associate member of the American Bar Association. Mr. Leopold was the founding member and is a past Chair of the International Transactions Subcommittee of the American Bar Association, which has more than 300 members and includes mergers and acquisitions specialists from the United States, Canada and over thirty-five other countries. Mr. Leopold is also an active member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the American Bar Association. He has participated in numerous panels and conferences on mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Leopold is also a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee and past Chair of the Montreal Children's Hospital Foundation.
University of Montréal (B.C.L., 1979) and McGill University (B.A., 1976).