Marc-André Coulombe has been a partner in the litigation group of the Montréal office of Stikeman Elliott since 1999. He joined the firm as a student in 1991 and became a member of the Quebec Bar in 1993. His practice covers all facets of litigation, ranging from providing strategic advice to clients on litigious or potentially litigious issues to representing clients at trial and in appeal before the Quebec courts and the Federal Court of Canada. He has broad experience in all areas of commercial law, including contract law, corporate litigation and shareholder disputes, as well as substantial expertise in provisional or extraordinary proceedings such as injunctions and safeguard orders.
Mr. Coulombe believes that a good trial lawyer's abilities are forged through frequent experiences before the courts on a wide range of commercial litigation matters. He began his career acting for debtors in real estate restructuring litigation and has since pleaded over 140 cases on a vast array of subjects, including competition, mergers and acquisitions, securities, and patents.
Mr. Coulombe is included in the following recent publications:
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Québec.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in the corporate and commercial litigation sector.
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada in Corporate Commercial Litigation.
- The 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, as a leading practitioner in the area of corporate and commercial litigation, securities litigation and directors' & officers' liability. He was the youngest lawyer in Quebec to be "consistently recommended" according to surveys conducted by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Media, A Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (2016).
- Benchmark Litigation's Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2016 edition.
- Lexpert Special Edition on Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers, December 2015.
- The 2014 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in
Canada, as a leading practitioner in the area of corporate and commercial litigation.
- Recognized by Lexpert as one of the 40 Leading Lawyers under 40 in Canada for 2009 in all areas of practice.
- The 2009 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada as one of the thirty-six "Canadian Litigation Lawyers to Watch" in Canada.
Mr. Coulombe formerly chaired the Montréal office Students and Stagiaires Committee and has continued his long-standing involvement in the firm's recruitment process. He is now a member of the Montréal Office's Associates Committee as well as the firm's Gender Balance Initiatives Committee.
He is a Gouverneur de la Fondation du Barreau du Québec.
He has been a member of the Canadian Bar Association since 1993. In addition, he was a member of the Board of Directors of the Young Bar Association in 1994. He has also acted as a speaker on a variety of occasions at conferences and other professional forums.
He is a member of the American Bar Association where he is active on the Committee of the Business & Commercial Law Section.
He has received a BV rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings (2007 edition) in recognition of the high regard in which his legal skills and professional ethics are held.
University of Montréal and Osgoode Hall Law School (Bachelor of Civil Law, 1991).