|Louis P. Bélanger
Louis P. Bélanger is a senior partner in the Montréal office of Stikeman Elliott and Head of the National Litigation Group. His practice primarily involves pleading before the courts, mostly in civil, commercial, corporate, administrative and securities litigation matters. He also acts as primary litigation contact and practice coordinator supervisor for major clients of the firm.
As a trial lawyer, Mr. Bélanger acts as senior and lead counsel in major and high-profile cases and specializes in crisis management and trouble shooting. He appears regularly before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal and has also appeared before the Federal Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court of Canada and many administrative tribunals.
Among others, Mr. Bélanger has been recognized by:
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Québec.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Quebec.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in corporate and commercial litigation, class action litigation, and director and officer liability practice.
- The 2017 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada in corporate commercial litigation.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016, as a leading practitioner in the corporate commercial litigation, securities litigation, class actions litigation and directors' & officers' liability sectors.
- Recognized by Lexpert/American Lawyer Media's 2016 A Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- Benchmark Litigation's Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2016 edition.
- Chambers Global 2016 as a leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution - Québec.
- Le Monde Juridique magazine as Plaideur de l'Année 2013 (Litigator of the Year for 2013). The title of litigator of the year is awarded to a litigation lawyer recognized in the Quebec legal milieu for a career characterized by excellence.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution sector in Quebec.
- Lexpert Special Edition on Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers, December 2015 (one of 56 leading litigation lawyers in Quebec).
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada in the area of corporate commercial litigation.
- PLC Which Lawyer? 2012, as recommended in Dispute Resolution in Quebec and in PLC's Dispute Resolution Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2012/2013.
- Lexpert/Thomson's 2006 US Guide to Canada's 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada.
Mr. Bélanger has developed a wide expertise, especially in the areas of evidence and legal procedure, with an emphasis on cases requiring a firm and decisive intervention and on highly complex files or issues of new law. He favors a full service and integrated approach to clients' legal needs with an emphasis on unified multi-professional efforts to avoid litigations or to get them resolved.
Mr. Bélanger graduated magna cum laude from the Faculty of Law of the University of Montréal in 1976. He received the Bar of Montréal award for ranking first of his class in civil law and the Quebec Bar award for ranking first of his graduating class.
Mr. Bélanger was chairman of the Moot Court at McGill University's Faculty of Law for several years. He was a member of various committees of the Bar, including the Disciplinary Committee for three consecutive mandates (1993 1996). He also acted as a member of the jury for the national Sopinka Cup trial advocacy competition for several years.