Stikeman Elliott's GoingGreen Program, officially launched on March 25, 2008, is part of our continuing effort to reduce the environmental impact of our day-to-day operations. The Program involves the firm wide implementation of market-leading environmental best practices. Highlights of the GoingGreen Program implemented to date include:
- Stikeman Elliott is the first national Canadian law firm to become carbon neutral.
- All offices have comprehensive recycling programs in place.
- Stikeman Elliott has developed an environmental purchasing policy with respect to the various goods and services used in our business operations in which preference is given to vendors who demonstrate solid environmental practices.
- Duplex printing is the standard setting for all printers across all offices.
- Multi-function printer machines (used to print, copy and scan) are used in all offices replacing separate standalone units, helping reduce energy consumption.
- Stikeman Elliott's travel policy encourages the use of video conferencing for firm and client meetings rather than travel where possible.
- Eliminated bottled water, paper plates and plastic cutlery in all offices.
- "Sleep modes" installed on all office printers and copiers to conserve energy.
- Through our collective efforts, received the certification as a Carbon Neutral Company for our Canadian offices, making Stikeman Elliott the first national Canadian law firm to earn that distinction.
Additional initiatives include efforts to reduce paper use through electronic reporting and filing, electronic file management, electronic reimbursements and the production of electronic closing books and using energy efficient equipment in all areas of the firm.
These programs are accompanied by efforts to increase awareness of broader environmental issues among all of our firm members. Recent initiatives include:
- Distribution of GoingGreen eNewsletters & launching a GoingGreen blog
- Participation in Earth Hour & Earth Day
- Taking on the Défi-climat/Nature Challenge, whereby employees are encouraged to take concrete action on a daily basis to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions
- Participation in Pollution Probe's Clean Air Commute (2008, 2009, 2010)
- An event featuring environmentalist David Suzuki hosted by our Montréal office
- Vancouver office participation in Encorp's Return-it Work Program (recycling all refundable containers to raise funds for the United Way)
- Conducting a second firm-wide carbon footprint study to determine the firm's carbon footprint & impact from related green initiatives and programs (the first study was completed in 2008).
Stikeman Elliott was selected from 2010-2012 as one of The Green 30 - Canada's 30 Greenest Employers, as selected by Maclean's and Canadian Business magazine, in partnership with Hewitt Associates. The award represents a culmination of the firm's efforts to fully integrate environmental stewardship into our operations and values.
By streamlining operations, sponsoring relevant environmental programs and encouraging individual participation at the firm, Stikeman Elliott continues to remain at the forefront of corporate social responsibility initiatives in the legal industry.