|Simon A. Romano
|Champs de pratique
Simon Romano is a partner in the Toronto office of Stikeman Elliott and a former member of the Toronto Management Committee of the firm. He practises principally in securities, public and private mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and corporate finance. He also advises investment funds, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts and alternative trading systems. He carries out work for public companies, financial institutions, underwriters, and regulatory and self-regulatory organizations, and also advises on corporate governance and executive compensation matters. Mr. Romano was instrumental in the structure and launch of special purpose acquisitions companies (SPACs) in Canada.
Mr. Romano has previously practised in the firm's New York office. In 1995-1996, he was seconded to the Ontario Securities Commission as special counsel, where he dealt with takeover bids, mergers, Policy 9.1 matters, the early warning reporting initiative and other projects.
Mr. Romano is listed and recognized in the following publications:
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Corporate Lawyers, June 2016.
- The Chambers Global 2017 Guide as a recommended lawyer for Corporate/M&A.
- Chambers Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in Corporate/Commercial - Ontario, with clients noting that he is "a jack of all trades and a master of M&A, structured products and capital markets."
- International Financial Law Review's IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms 2017 as a leading lawyer in Capital Markets, Private Equity & Venture Capital, M&A, and Investment Funds.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 in the areas of Corporate, M&A and Securities Law.
- The Legal 500 Canada 2017, as a leading lawyer in Corporate and M&A.
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada as a Most Frequently Recommended practitioner in Corporate Commercial, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, and Mergers & Acquisitions law.
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading practitioner in the areas of Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Corporate Mid-Market, M&A and Private Equity.
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Lawyers in Global Mining, December 2015.
- Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers, November 2015.
- The 2016 Lexpert Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada in the Corporate Finance & Securities sectors.
- Who's Who Legal: Capital Markets and The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers.
- Who's Who Legal Canada 2016 in Capital Markets - Debt & Equity.
- Legal Media Group's 2016 Expert Guides: Capital Markets.
- Lexpert's 2006 Guide to the 100 Most Creative Lawyers in Canada.
- He is AV® Peer Review Rated according to Martindale-Hubbell (Very High to Pre-eminent), its highest level of professional ranking.
Mr. Romano is a member of the Canadian Bar Association. He has been an instructor in business law at the Law Society of Upper Canada's Bar Admission Course and is a frequent lecturer. Mr. Romano was previously a member of the Securities Advisory Committee of the Ontario Securities Commission.
|Études et diplômes
University of Toronto (LL.B. 1987), McGill University (B.Sc. 1981).
Mr. Romano was formerly a clerk at the Supreme Court of Canada.
|Admission au barreau