Christopher Nixon

Christopher W. Nixon Partner

Representative Work
  • TriSummit Utilities Inc. in its issuance of C$100M aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured medium-term notes.
  • AltaGas Canada Inc. in connection with its C$1.7B acquisition by the Public Sector Pension Investment Board and the Alberta Teachers' Retirement Fund Board.
  • Pembina Pipeline Corporation in its C$4.35B acquisition of Kinder Morgan Canada Limited and the U.S. portion of the Cochin Pipeline system.
  • AltaGas Ltd. in the sales of its interests in Northwest British Columbia hydroelectric facilities to joint venture companies owned by Axium Infrastructure Inc. and Manulife Financial Corporation for an aggregate of C$2.3B.
  • An undisclosed bidder in its proposed acquisition of Enbridge Inc.’s provincially and federally regulated natural gas pipeline and processing facilities.

  • Gran Tierra Energy Inc. in its US$300M private placement of 7.75% senior notes due 2027.

  • Nabors Industries Ltd., as Canadian counsel, in its acquisition of Tesco Corporation.
  • AltaGas Canada Inc. in the establishment of its medium term note program and subsequent offerings of medium term notes.
  • Centrica plc in the C$722M acquisition of its Canadian oil and gas exploration and production business by Canlin Energy Corporation, a consortium of two Hong Kong-based companies, MIE Holdings Corp. and Can-China Global Resource Fund, and Geneva-based Mercuria Energy Group.
  • AltaGas Canada Inc. in its initial public offering of common shares for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately C$239M, which includes AltaGas Ltd.'s Canadian utilities and certain renewable power assets in Canada.
  • Gran Tierra Energy Inc. in its high yield debt offering of US$300M of 6.25% senior unsecured notes due 2025.
  • Gran Tierra Energy Inc. in its US$525M acquisition of PetroLatina Energy Ltd., a private exploration and production company, with assets located primarily in Colombia, and concurrent private placement offering of subscription receipts to partially fund the transaction for aggregate gross proceeds of US$173.5M.
  • InterOil Corporation in its successful defense of a proxy contest involving former CEO, Phil Mulacek, who ran a short slate of directors and sought to implement various governance reforms.
  • Xtreme Drilling and Coil Services Corp. in its $205M sale to two affiliated companies of Schlumberger Limited of its XSR Coiled Tubing Services Segment.
  • The Special Committee of the board of directors of TransAlta Renewables Inc. in the acquisition of an economic interest in C$1.7B of Australian power generation assets from TransAlta Corporation.
  • PetroChina International Investment Company Limited, directly and indirectly through its subsidiary Phoenix Energy Holdings Limited, in its C$1.9B acquisition of a 60% working interest in Athabasca Oil Corp.’s MacKay River and Dover oil sands projects, and in its subsequent acquisitions of the remaining 40% interest in the MacKay River project for C$680M and the remaining 40% interest in the Dover project for C$1.2B.
  • Caracal Energy Inc. in its C$1.5B acquisition by a wholly-owned subsidiary of Glencore Xstrata Plc.
  • PTTEP Canada Limited in its acquisition of the remaining 60% ownership interest in the Thornbury, Hangingstone and South Leismer oil sands areas from Statoil Canada Ltd., in exchange for its 40% stake in the Leismer and Corner projects and C$200M in cash.
  • AltaGas Idemitsu Joint Venture Limited Partnership in its C$880M acquisition of a two-thirds ownership interest in Petrogas Energy Corp.
  • China National Offshore Oil Company in its US$19.5B cash acquisition of Calgary-based Nexen Inc., including the assumption of debt.
  • CNPC International Ltd. as its Canadian counsel in its proposed C$499M acquisition of Verenex Energy Inc.
  • SinoCanada Petroleum Corporation in connection with its acquisition of an additional 10% interest in the Northern Lights Partnership from Total Canada E&P Ltd.
  • Royal Dutch Shell in its C$8.7B acquisition of minority interest in Shell Canada Limited.
  • Syndicates of underwriters in connection with Trican Well Service Ltd.’s C$250M+ bought deal offerings of common shares.
  • Syndicates of underwriters in Pembina Pipeline Corporation’s multiple bought deal offerings of common shares, preferred shares and medium term notes.
  • Caracal Energy Inc., a company listed on the premium listing segment of the London Stock Exchange, in connection with its concurrent Canadian and Global placing and open offer equity financings for aggregate gross proceeds of US$202M.